We are four days into 2018, and like most of us, I am riding the oh so infamous “New Year, New Me” movement. To be painfully honest, I have severely slacked on my skin care regimen. Ok, let’s skip the BS, I don’t have one. Luckily, I’ve been blessed with amazing skin despite my blatant disregard for skin care. It doesn’t help that my entire family are platinum card carrying members of the “Black Don’t Crack” society, so of course, I’m destined to become a part of that illustrious club as well. However, my common sense tells me that I don’t want to push this theory to its brink and come out a sore loser. I’ve decided that 2018 is the year that I take better care of my skin. I am going to implement 6 realistic beauty resolutions that I will be able to keep up.
Below I have posted a picture of me without any makeup as a reference for my skin’s appearance.
Now without further ado, here are 6 beauty resolutions I hope to keep this year:
1. STOP SLEEPING WITH MAKEUP ON – I am a repeat offender of this beauty faux pas. Sleeping with your makeup on not only creates nasty breakouts, but can lead to premature wrinkling. I will now use makeup remover every night before bedtime.
2. MOISTURIZE FACE AND BODY – I seem to live in a fantasy world where I believe my skin magically produces moisturizer on its own, when in fact, I actually have dry skin. I typically moisturize 5 times a week. Horrible, I know! My new goal is to moisturize in the morning and before bed. Moisturizing boosts skin hydration, while preventing flaking and dullness.
3. CLEANSE FACE TWICE DAILY – Typically, I wash my face once daily in the morning. However, I will challenge myself to use a gentle cleanser in the am and pm. Cleansing your face twice daily can remove excess oil, dirt, and impurities that can build up on the skin. The build up of dirt and grime on your face can clog pores as well as cause breakouts.
4. CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES REGULARLY- I’m so ashamed to say that I don’t clean my personal makeup brushes as much as I should. I simply use brush cleanser after every use. This bad habit is strictly born out of laziness. I have no patience nor desire to clean 100 brushes on a regular basis; if I could hire someone to tackle this daunting task I definitely would. However, I take my artistry extremely serious and the brushes I use on my clients are washed after every use. It’s safe to say I’m just trifling when it comes to myself. Dirty brushes are a breeding ground for bacteria. You also obtain a better color payoff with clean brushes. Furthermore, clean brushes are much softer than dirty abrasive brushes.
5. Mask More – I literally have a million face masks but, I’ve never used not a single one. I’m going to regularly set aside pamper time for my skin and indulge in a face mask. I will reward myself with a glass of wine as well. The greatest benefit of a face mask is healthy skin. Face masks increase hydration, reduce fine lines, firm skin and even skin tone.
6. DRINK MORE WATER – I’m soooooo not a fan of water. I’m the girl who needs 15 lemons in my water. Nonetheless, I am aware that my body needs water for it’s survival and kool-aid is not a good substitute (even though I would beg to differ because it’s made mostly of water). Drinking water rids your body of toxins and many people report that they obtained an amazing glow when they increased their water intake. My goal is to drink 8 glasses of water daily.
Now that I’ve shared my beauty resolutions, I want to hear from you guys! What are some of your beauty resolutions for 2018?!